What is Sports Therapy?
Sports therapy is an aspect of health care that specifically focuses on assessment, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of sports and occupational related injuries and musculoskeletal pain. (The Society of Sports Therapists)
Who do Sports Therapists treat?
A graduate sports therapist is qualified to treat any sports, recreational, occupational individual regardless of age and ability.
Aims of a Sports Therapist:
Our aims are to help the patient/athlete to return to optimal levels of functional, occupational and sports specific fitness as soon as possible.
Our Treatment Modalities:
- Spinal and peripheral joint mobilisations using Maitland’s or Mulligan’s techniques
- Sports massage therapy/deep tissue release including pre and post activity massage
- Electrotherapy, including ultrasound and interferential therapy
- Exercise prescription rehabilitation and prevention techniques, specific to an individual
- Core stability exercises
- Prescribed rest and recovery if necessary
- PNF stretching and strengthening
- Strapping and taping
- Specific injury rehabilitation plans
- Postural Assessments